- Agar is a red seaweed extract used as a vegetarian gelatine and thickening agent in food. While mainly known for its use as highly effective gelling agent, it is also very healthy and high in nutrition.
Agar is a Malay word that means 'jelly'. Pacific Harvest's Agar is an extract made from several different red seaweeds belonging to the botanical family called gelidium. The jelly is flavourless, odourless and colourless, which makes agar an unusual product with endless possibilities.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of agar powder per cup of liquid and heat to dissolve. Cool to thicken.
Can be used in exactly the same way as gelatine but must be prepared in a certain way. Before using agar in a recipe, the powder must be allowed to re-hydrate & dissolve in a liquid and then simmered for several minutes before setting. The product is superior to gelatine as it doesn't melt easily in warm weather and has a firmer texture. Agar also harmonises the texture of an uneven blend.
- 100% Agar dried sea vegetable - free of additives.
- "I had some recipes that required agar agar powder. This product worked perfectly. That's all I can ask!"
- Kevin Strnad (USA)
"I use this to make vegan cheese from almond milk. Delicious! This is my first time using agar powder; it is now a staple in my kitchen."
- Liane Blanco (USA)
- Turkish Delight Chocolate Bars
Doug and Louise Fawcett bought Pacific Harvest in 2002 with the idea of making sea vegetables a more integral part of Western cooking with a focus equally on the superfood aspects of seaweed as well as providing a great taste experience.
New Zealand based Pacific Harvest supplies fine seaweed which are made in small and high quality batches. Their types of seaweed from New Zealand include Karengo (NZ Nori) , Agar and Kelp. All of the sea vegetables are selected and hand-harvested by professionals that have made a career of harvesting seaweed. This process is undertaken in areas of New Zealand where nature has remained pristine and free of contaminants.
View full product details