- Also known as the Peruvian ground apple, yacon is a crisp, sweet tasting tuber originating from South America. It is a close relative of the sunflower and Jerusalem artichoke and was traditionally used as a refreshing snack by indigenous Peruvian farmers. For this reason, it's a great sugar alternative for diabetics or people looking to reduce sugar in their diet.
Matakana Superfoods' Yacon Root Powder has all the sweetness of the tuber but in powder form! It's a prebiotic that can help in weight control and gut health, is naturally low-calorie and low GI as well as being rich in fructooligosaccharides (FOS). FOS are a type of sugar not absorbed into the bloodstream - instead providing important nutrients to beneficial microflora of the colon and supporting healthy bowel function, calcium absorption and cholesterol levels.
- Add to smoothies, baking, desserts or wherever you need extra sweetness. A teaspoon of yacon root powder a day will help maintain a healthy gut.
- Yacon powder*. No preservatives or additives.
*Certified Organic Ingredient
"A wonderful sweetener which has a glycemic index (GI) rating of 1, compared to glucose at 100. This Is my favourite sweetener for recommending to diabetics and those with blood sugar management issues, as it barely impacts blood sugar levels but is also a completely natural and whole sweetener unlike many other low calorie/low GI sweetener alternatives."
- Buffy Ellen, founder of begoodorganics.com (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Healthy Lemon Meringue Pie
Matakana SuperFoods is a New Zealand-based leader in the research and marketing of new and novel foods with unique qualities and super nutrients to support health and well-being. Their goal is to bring to the market the latest high-quality, super-nutrient functional foods, snack foods and cosmetics.
While extracts of various foods have been used in supplements for many years, a new movement away from supplements and towards whole Superfoods has arisen, and promises to offer greater benefits to health through the premise that the synergistic interaction of the nutrients gained from natural wholefoods has more to offer than one or two components being extracted and put into a tablet. Often the balance, ratio and type of nutrients found in wholefoods leads to superior assimilation and absorption by the body. There is a renewed belief that eating wholefoods (and particularly wholefoods with super-nutrient qualities) is of greater benefit than simple supplementation with individual extracts.